Madcat's Web Technology Blog

Lebe lieber ungewöhnlich. Deutschprachiges Blog mit englischen Einlagen.

Sonntag, Juli 31, 2005

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for Tourists as Reallife PDA

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams describes an electronic device with an included Encyclopedia and the friendly letters
Don't Panic
on the cover. Tourists can trust in it if they have an intergalactic towel also.
There's nothing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy could not explain.
Well realworld Prototype only explains certain places for tourists, but that's OK.

I had the same idea in fact. They only combined a GPS System and the apprpriate Gelocations with useful info from a travel book agency.

... Antenna Audio, a London-based company that provides audio-tours of 400 tourist sites worldwide.

Telegraph | Travel | Travel gadgets: it knows where you are...:

"A cheery voice declares, 'You have walked into an interactive area.' And what begins is a visitor experience like no other I've had. This tiny electronic prototype, called an Explorer, detects exactly where I'm standing within the 850-acre parkland surrounding Ashton Court, because it's equipped with an internal Global Positioning System (GPS) based on satellite signals, accurate to within about three yards.

On screen, I see myself as a little red dot moving slowly over the grass. Depending on where I wander, an entirely different heritage or cultural story is presented through a combination of pictures, sound effects and narrative, all related to where I'm standing and what I'm looking at."